The standard CU syllabus statement says both students and faculty are responsible for maintaining an appropriate learning environment in all instructional settings, whether in person, remote or online. In particular, when interacting in class or online, you are expected to:
- Be respectful of other students, and support the learning of one another. Care for one another.
- From the syllabus: Professional courtesy and sensitivity are especially important with respect to individuals and topics dealing with race, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, political affiliation or political philosophy.
- Use the offered pronouns if available.
- Respect each other’s ideas and critique ideas in a polite and respectful manner.
- No personal attacks, no rude comments, no demeaning comments, no discrimination, no making anyone feel bad, in any medium. No inappropriate pictures, usernames, etc.
- Be prepared in class and on time.
- Have phone on silent; computer notifications muted; and in all other ways focus on class and do not multitask.
- Make sure your real name (first and last) are displaying on discord. Add your pronouns, if you like. First name + last initial is ok (unless we have too many coincidences).
If you feel these expectations are not being respected, please contact me.